Monday, November 2, 2009

How Are You?

Many of you know that I had surgery last Wednesday. It was as awful as surgery always is but since it did what it accomplished...I'm just happy that it is over. Being put to sleep is difficult. Finding out after the fact that the people putting you to sleep had trouble getting the tube down your throat was a little tough to hear. And having more stitches than Frankenstein just in time for Halloween might have been appropriate, but it certainly wasn't ideal.

But enough of the whining.

I had friends bring delicious meals for two days. There were sweet cards sent from friends and coworkers. My mother gave me her undivided attention for three days...for the first time in a long time. My daughter and son were sweet to me, and my husband was the gem that he often is when I need him most to be.

But now that the dust has cleared and I know everything works the way it is supposed to work because the surgeon did his job...I am left with the question that I hardly know how to answer..."How are you?"

Do I tell the truth? I mean...I either do that or refuse to answer under normal circumstances. Because at one point today, I did just that. A sweet friend text messaged me the dreaded question...to which I responded..."Feeling like Sigourney Weaver in 'Alien'"...which I suppose might have been a classic overshare.

Do I say..."I'm just fine! Thank you so much for asking!" when I am miserable? Do I hold my chin up? It just seems so close to lying that I just can't do it.

So, I speak the truth. I tell people (if they ask) that I am happy that the surgery is over. I am. I also talk about the good things...making progress...family...thoughtfulness of friends...because these are real and very positive. I've learned that at least for the short run...certain foods are on the "heck no" list. I'm hoping that this will help me in the long run.

I've also learned a few things being under the weather...

There are people who will tell you everything you could possibly not want to know about your upcoming surgery...for your own good.

You're never too old to want your Mama.

Water actually has a taste.

Daytime television totally bites.

There are a lot of things you'd love to do because you have nothing else to do...but you are far too tired to do them.

The phone is for your convenience...not that of everyone else.

People care.

Time heals.

God is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment