Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Indecision

The world is full of opposites. They say that we actually attract, and that may be true for some laws of nature. I mean, what goes up...must come down. What goes around...comes around. Wait! That's karma, I think. But I've found that the world is set up to be perfectly divided...male and female, Republican and Democrat, or loud and soft spoken. So, why it shocks me that there are indecisive people in this world...I can't say.

I was born being able to choose. Maybe I didn't choose well...but I could go "yes" or "no" without a whole lot of angst. I've been through periods of time when I didn't really know what I favored...but I've always been able to head out in a direction.

Did I mention that I tend to be directionally impaired? It's totally true.

But lately I've come to realize that what I take for granted is actually a gift. I don't take forty forevers to decide what I want at a restaurant...because I tend to order the same thing every time. I know fairly instantly if I like something or someone...and I can't really explain what goes into making that determination. I have to forcibly withhold my responses sometimes so that I can get all of the facts...or do something radical like actually check my calendar first.

I have friends and family members who fall at the other end of the spectrum. They have no idea what they want for breakfast...much less what they want to do in life. They seem to be waiting on a vision or something. And there's nothing that I can do or say to prod them onward most of the time.

And you know what? It's really okay.

What is not okay - at least in my little world - are the following scenarios:

Spending seven years in college changing majors on Mama and Daddy's dime. (I say...you have four years with assistance, patience, and/or understanding. After that...you're on your own.)

Dating someone for years while trying to figure out if he/she is "the one" or not. (Let me help you...they are NOT.)

Trying to figure out what you want to eat while at the speaker at the Chick-fil-A drive thru at 11:45 a.m. in 97 degree heat. (Please, lady who will inevitably cut me off with your minivan when I'm in a hurry...have a clue already.)

Deciding whether or not you will attend an event and making everyone prepare for both eventualities. (How about we plan for you NOT coming and thn if you do...you figure out where you'll stay.)

Holding out to be able to take the "best deal" if you think alternative plans are going to be offered. (Just shoot straight.)

Allowing other people to believe in you when you don't have the passion, preparation, or endurance to actually follow through on what you say that you want to do. (Don't get me on board unless you mean what you say.)

But aside from these...

Maybe it is actually better to get more facts before you respond. Or be rational enough to listen to people you trust who might give you a better perspective than you can get just figuring out things on your own.

Or something truly radical...you might pray about something before you commit. That one act alone would probably solve about 80% of what is wrong in this world...if not more.

So, as you are faced with opportunities to choose...realize that you are being given a tremendous gift. You have free will. You live in America. We have do-overs here for most things. Embrace the occasional bad decision...learn from it...and move on. Don't use it as an excuse to live in some semi-frozen state of being because you can't bear the thought of messing up again.

If you're human...you're going to mess up. If you don't believe me...pick up your Bible. You may not be able to pronounce their names, but you'll recognize a certain thread of boneheadedness that we seem to share as human beings.

Choose wisely...but get off of the fence. Take a chance. Move along. Dust yourself off if you fail miserably, publicly, or extraordinarily. You'll survive it...and will probably be better for it...eventually.

And if you are ever in a drive-thru and can't make up your mind...just order Combo #1 and move on. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment