Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Three Things About Me

I realize that I spend time here talking about my thoughts, my kids, my experiences, and my ideas.  I mean...I'm not putting recipes, photos (except to illustrate a point), or tremendously useful information out here most of the time.  This blog is undefined, hard to figure out, and pretty much whatever it needs to be at any given point in time.  Those of you who stop by have been kind enough to read and comment..and for that I am immensely grateful. 

So, tonight, I want to tell you a little bit about myself.  Not anything earth shattering...and for many of you...this is more like a review than anything else.  At the risk of completely boring you to death...I'll condense it.  Ah, I'll try.  How about I limit it to three things that you may or may not know about me?  Perhaps if you knew these things...I might make more sense to you.  And if that happens...let me know.  I can always use an interpreter.  Sometimes I confuse myself.

Here goes...three things. 

1. I consider everything I do to be a project.
2. I normally have anywhere between three and five things that I'm obsessed about at any given point in time.
3. I'm a Christian; and I believe that God speaks to me through having the same things repeated to me by different people, nature, or in something I'm reading. 

Most of you who know me understand that I am a born project manager.  Give me something you want done and I can pretty much either turn it around for you faster than you thought possible or I can tell you when you can expect it.  I do have a side of me that procrastinates...but this is normally because whatever I am putting off is something that I absolutely have no interest in doing whatsoever.  Through the years, I've learned to just tell people when I'm truthfully not interested in something so that I spare us both a lot of awkwardness.  Like everyone else, there are some things that I cannot avoid but almost have to beat myself into submission to handle like doctors' appointments, cleaning, some things I do at work, and doing things for people that are totally outside my comfort zone (which isn't much...but when it is...ick.)

You want someone to help you get organized, to talk through something difficult without fear of judgment and in confidence, or to be the person who just does the things nobody else wants to do at a social function?  I'm your girl.  Need me to sit with you at the hospital, raise money or deal with something cumbersome?  Um...no. 

And what exactly falls into the "cumbersome" category, you ask?  How about any concert that doesn't involve an electric guitar, dealing with high maintenance, ill-prepared, lazy, or otherwise needy people (exceptions granted for kids and retirees), people who think that they have the right to express their rights and in so doing so take away my right to not have to deal with their rights on parade, cantatas, and people in love with their problems.

Life's too short and all that.

And just so you know...my current obsessions are cleaning, Foo Fighters, and writing.  I'm also a bit obsessed with the current political goings-on and a new budget plan that our family has been on for the past two months.  I should amend that to say that Big Dave and I have been on it.  The kids are oblivious. 

I can hear you thinking, "Gee, what an exciting life she has!"  You have no idea.  Today I got excited by getting the windows in the back of the house clean.  My life is full.

Tonight I am listening to three CDs that I burned from my Foo Fighters collection, and I'm obviously writing.  Also competing with Dave Grohl singing "My Hero" is Greta Van Susteren in the background on Fox News and Big Dave snoring on the couch.  What can I say?  I multitask.

On the subject of the Foo Fighters, I have started putting together a way for my friends who have no idea why I am so obsessed with this band to at least be able to hear some of the music, read the words, and broaden their horizons a little.  After all, I have a friend who broadens mine often.  Isn't that what friends do?  She is determined that I'm going to be at least exposed to something in the music realm other than rock and alternative music.  Bless her heart.  She really tries.  I've found that I like it once I'm there.  I also enjoy Christian praise music, and I gave birth to children who like country music (Jill) and rap (Brian...although he likes almost every kind of music).  Although I exposed them to "good music" growing up...they went their own way.

Anyway, because I listen to every song on every album I buy, I usually end up really liking some of what we would have called "B sides" back in the day.  By the way, that is the true mark of a band I'm going to like.  If I like most of the songs on the album...I love the band.  If not, I can take it or leave it.  For instance, I love AC/DC's "Back in Black" and "Shook Me All Night Long" and a couple of others that they do.  But I'm not a true blue fan because I've never moved beyond just the songs that I like to really check them out.  I guess I cherry-picked the best ones and just moved on.  I mean, the music was popular when I was in high school...and they are still playing it.  I think that is primarily because the poor children in college now don't really have a whole lot of bands...other than perhaps Muse and the bands that are still out there touring like Foo Fighters.  Bless their hearts, they have artists instead.  Guess I'm just a band fan.  Here's some AC/DC for your listening pleasure.
Back to the Foo...there is a documentary of Foo Fighters out right now ("Back and Forth") that pretty much explains everything you might want to know about the evolution of the band.  It will behoove you to get the WalMart version of this documentary, however, because they don't limit their fascination with the letter "F" to the band name.  Fortunately for me, I taped it off VH-1 and the censors took care of that for me.  (Granted I have a gazillion commercials to fast forward through but I'd rather take the FF for fast forward than the F for well, yeah, that.)

The first CD has all of the songs that I think anyone who wants to hear the band needs to hear.  I actually am laughing writing that because I'm not entirely sure that I have five friends who are even remotely interested in hearing this band at ALL, but whatever.  I'm on a mission. 

So, for the next three days, I'm going to try to explain my obsession.  Consider it a primer on the band.  To me...it is just another project.  Something I've wanted to do for a long time so that I could just refer my friends who shake their head in amazement about something that they may not appreciate...but will at least be able to say..."I've been exposed to that."  (As if my Facebook posts on "Foo Fighters Friday" don't count as exposure.)

But there is exposure...and there is EXPOSURE.  Like my friend who volunteered to go to the movie showing of "Back and Forth" (the Foo Fighters documentary) in the theater with me in April.  She was slightly traumatized from the experience.  She's still speaking to me, but I don't think she'll ever be a fan.  And that's okay.  I don't think I'll ever fully appreciate a cantata either.

If you are reading and thinking, "Aw, man...I was hoping she'd write about bad customer service at the local Winn-Dixie" or whatever...I will.  Soon.  I promise.  For those of you who are completely out of the Foo loop...here's a song that Dave Grohl (lead singer) did with Norah Jones.  Come on, you can't not like THIS one.


See you tomorrow.  Okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment