Wednesday, October 7, 2009

On Being Sick

Today...like many people all over the country...I am sick. Not sick and tired, or chronically ill, or even mentally ill (although my children might beg to differ)...I'm just not well. It started two days ago as a sore throat and stuffy nose...which has turned to sneezing and coughing and just general malaise.

I have sick days available for use, but I am also in need of those sick days later in the month. I have vacation days, but the whole mental health thing might come into question if I don't get to use those at Christmas.

Am I alone in this? I make a pledge to take better care of myself through improved diet and exercise...and then I get sick. So not fair.

But sometimes we just have to take care of ourselves. We have to pack it in, let it go, and just endure it. We must treat ourselves as kindly as we would treat a child, friend, spouse or parent if they were sick and we were offering care. Easier said than done, however.

I am finding that many women do not take care of themselves adequately because they - pardon me for using a banking term but - overdraw their reserves. We believe that this makes us better women and mothers...but in truth...it makes us less capable to do what we are called to do because we are exhausted...or sick. Plus, it tends to make us into martyrs. In my experience, martrys do not end up particularly well. And me? I want to finish strong.

So, I'm going to see how it goes tonight and tomorrow. If I am sick...I'm going to stay home and rest. If I can make it...then that will be great. If I need to go to the doctor...I'm going. I just know that today should have been spent in bed rather than at my desk. That was a mistake that I do not intend to repeat.

If you are one of those people who feels that you are irreplaceable...know that this is really just an illusion...with one notable exception. You are unique to your family and friends, granted...but you are special to God. He sometimes allows us to have down times so that our bodies and our spirits will rest. He has a plan for us that we sometimes are to busy to hear or follow in our own strength. So, our strength is sapped...and we start to slow down. In the slow moments, we can hear the very quiet voice.

Here's to having a rested spirit and a non-achy body in the near future. Hope it's tomorrow. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment