Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring Break

Today I want to smile. I have been taking some serious B-12 and B whatever vitamin supplements, have lost seven pounds, and I'm still basking in the glow of my birthday week. I've also consumed enough vegetables to make a vegan envious and enough water to keep me going to and fro on a fairly frequent basis. I guess I can consider that exercise.

I've been struggling with my weight since I was a teenager...off and on...and I know exactly what I need to do to not have issues. But knowing and doing are not exactly the same thing. I mean, I understand that the road to hell is paved with good intentions or something equally profound.

I haven't written for several days because I've been a busy girl. But it is now Spring Break. It is for the rest of the world, anyway, who are at the beach, the ski slopes, on a mission trip, or somewhere else fun. I haven't been able to go on Spring Break for years. You'd think I'd be sad, but I've entered those years where my kids would actually prefer to go on their own.

This past Saturday, I had a whole host of Jill's sorority sisters and ATO friends through here for the fastest consumption of grilled hamburgers on record, and a reorganization of vehicles that was absolutely hysterical to witness. They are all at the beach and I am pleased to report that I have not been called to bail anyone out of jail yet. I consider this a good thing. I can say that this particular group did not leave a mess, thanked us profusely for feeding them, and actually made me wish that they were staying longer. I really do miss having a bunch of kids around the house.

I've also turned the odometer of life this week to the big number 47 and I'm not quite comfortable with it yet. I do like the number 7 a lot...in fact, I moved my wedding day to 7-7-85 because I hated the number 6. That meant that I got married on a Sunday. A little unusual, but that extra day gave me time to visit with people who had come to the wedding and that totally rocked. So, I am hoping that this coming year will be a good year. If the birthday festivities are any indication...it is off to a good start.

I have been on a food program for the past five days. I will explain later, but I can say that it is not Weight Watchers (aka Rehab)and I'm only accountable to one human being other than myself...and God. One day I will tell the story of how this all started, but I'd really like to relay that to you when I have gotten a little bit farther down the road. The only thing I can say is that this is God's timing...not mine. Trust me on this. I had to turn down a Peggy McKinney peanut butter fudge cake for my birthday. I'm so not kidding. My coworkers and Big Dave enjoyed half of it, and the rest of it is in the freezer. I didn't touch it...and I wasn't really tempted.

Okay, maybe a LITTLE. But the bottom line is...I didn't eat it.

I don't know if it is the fact that I feel like I am doing what I am supposed to be doing, am starting to feel better, of if it is the benefit of being disciplined that is making me happy. Or the B-12...

Whatever it is, I am enjoying my seven pound weight loss and the love of friends who have taken time to speak words of hope and encouragement to me. I'm grateful for the time that a person who has pulled herself out of the pit of despair took to explain a new program, and for friends who have told me that I can do it. And I can...if I keep my eyes where they need to be.

This is a point in time when I am happy. I realize that this could change tomorrow...but I hope not. I am enjoying having a little bit of peace from the stresses and worries and drama that comprise life as I know it. Oh, normally I laugh a lot, and I think even more. But for now, I'll just enjoy this "Spring Break" even if I don't get to go anywhere fun. The B-12 is enough for me...for now...:)

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, intriguing. I am curious about this plan because I've been contemplating Quick Weight Loss (i think that's the one) just to get a jump start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for you to get "further down the road" so you can share THE PROGRAM with us!

    I've been considering fasting to get my eating under "control". Drinking fruit and veggie juices....not sure if I can do that, but feeling led to. I live to eat instead of eat to live! Everything we do revolves around food....

    Can you share what vitamins you take and what they are for? :-) Thanks! Janna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been taking B-12, B complex, potassium chloride, and a multivitamin. The B-12 is the kind that you put under your tongue (sublimal?) Anyway, this has NO sugar, and very little carbohydrates. Since the backstory to how I got here is incredible to me...but might not be to anyone else...I'm sure that this is the way God is leading me to go. I'm not suffering, and I've also gotten off of caffeine in a week with very little angst. I'm now a fan of herbal teas. :)

    ReplyDelete