Monday, June 29, 2009

Imagine

When I was about seven or eight years old, and living in Jackson, Mississippi, I fell in love with the song "Imagine" by John Lennon. I've never really been a tremendous Lennon or even a Beatles fan beyond normal appreciation then or since. But for whatever reason, I latched onto that song and went on and on about it until someone bought me the album.

There was something in the lyrics...before I actually grew up and understood them... that caught my attention...even as an eight year old. While some of the lyrics might be debatable, I believe that they describe how earth will be after Christ comes. Plus, the lines, "...You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one. I hope some day you'll join us...and the world will live as one" still sounds like a good plan to me.

Tonight I looked up and saw the word "Imagine" in black all capital letters as a sign sitting on top of the cabinets in my kitchen. I have two, actually. The other one reads "Be Happy." I suppose I thought that being reminded of these words every day would be inspirational. And in some small way...they are.

I'm now well into adulthood and have found that I have grown into some of the dreams I had for myself as a child. Granted, I had to give up a few: being a member of The Partridge Family, being able to sing beautifully, learning and being graceful doing modern dance, having four children, being a lady of leisure, and owning a Golden Retriever. I mean, some of these might actually come true in some form or fashion down the road...but for the most part...I let them go.

When my dreams started stalling several years ago, I started dreaming big dreams for my children. And while I'd love for their lives to be perfect, it is up to them to dream their own dreams and make them happen. I am a spectator who occasionally gets to participate in the game. But little do they know that they have already fulfilled many of the dreams that I had for them already. I'm insanely proud of both of them.

I would like to imagine myself back to a normal weight, not exhausted, and with a whole lot more money, but for the most part, I am fine with where I am, who I am, and what I have. A lot of my life is far better than I would have ever imagined it for myself all of those years ago.

So, when I see someone chasing their dreams, I applaud. When I watch someone having something wonderful happen to them, I rejoice. And I continue to imagine a better life for myself...and my family. And for those seeds of future dreams that are planted in the soil of the hearts of those I love, I try to add the warmth of my love, the water of my praise, and the necessary pruning when the need arises.

I think of the eight year old girl who used to listen to John Lennon and write poetry...and the forty-six year old version of that girl who is now listening to Collective Soul and Foo Fighters and is writing a blog. I guess some things we imagine for ourselves then and what they later become may not be exactly the same...but are close enough for comfort. And I imagine that's okay...

Later!

2 comments:

  1. I scanned to the golden retriever part...I have two, but no children. Although, the goldens require as much investment as some children.

    Anyway, hi. Blogs are more my speed than facebook. I'm still in the ambivalent stage with FB.

    In Atlanta, working (or not) in commercial real estate...playing photographer.

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to send you a message on FB tomorrow sometime and I want to catch up with what you've been doing with yourself! Thanks for reading...:)

    ReplyDelete