Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Music

I am listening to music as I write this. For many of us, music is still a very important part of our lives...and for others...it is just something that we take for granted. I've gone through days that were totally silent...and then ended up in the grocery store listening to something like "Funky Town" and found myself laughing.

I realized years ago that music was almost like turning down a corner of a page in the book of my life. I could find my place by just hearing a few notes. It is a rare child of the South that can stand still when the first few chords of "Sweet Home Alabama" are played. In fact, at my friend Jacqueline's wedding in Newport, RI several years ago, I even got up and danced on that one. By myself. Didn't care.

I associate certain songs with certain people...beginning with the song "Spooky" that my Uncle Harry wrote. Every time it is on...I think of him...and of course, the fact that he is getting a residual...which is totally awesome. There are songs that remind me of childhood, of my teen years, of college fraternity parties, my early married life, raising children, and today. I can give you songs in each category.

I tend to lean strongly and heavily toward rock music. Most of you know that my favorite group is Collective Soul, and that I am also a big fan of Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Nickelback, Creed, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Def Leppard, U2 and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

I have recently started enjoying Nirvana and Muse. I put off Nirvana because of the whole crazy drug addicted thing Kurt Cobain had going on, and Muse is just new to me. I have tried to like country, and there are a few artists that I can tolerate, but for the most part, I endure it more than enjoy it.

However, if you want a totally surreal experience...download "Nine Lives" by Tim McGraw and Def Leppard. Yeah, THAT Def Leppard. Great song...too funny.

I've thought about my music preferences and thought I'd share a few here. If I had the means and the time to cut you a CD to reflect my musical tastes...what would I put on it?

Well, you know that it would lean heavily toward Collective Soul, but I'd spread it around a little bit. And frankly, I'm going to leave Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zeppelin off of the list. I think that these two are everyone's favorite...or at least were at some point...and so everyone I know has their unique favorites.

My favorite Lynyrd Skynyrd song is "Tuesday's Gone" and my favorite Led Zeppelin song is "The Immigrant Song." So, you can add those if you want.

For the rest of your CD, I'd put the following:
Nirvana: "Come as You Are" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
Pearl Jam: "Alive", "Porch", and "Evenflow"
Nickelback: "How You Remind Me" and "Photograph"
Smashing Pumpkins: "1979"
Coldplay: "Daylight", "Clocks" and "Speed of Sound"
Dave Matthews: "Where Are You Going?" and "Don't Drink the Water"
U2: "Beautiful Day", "City of Blinding Lights", and "Mysterious Ways"
Muse: "Supermassive Black Hole"
Foo Fighters: "Times Like These", "Monkey Wrench" and "Learn To Fly"
Tom Petty: "Runnin' Down a Dream" and "Won't Back Down"
Linkin Park: "In the End", "What I've Done" and "Numb"

Naturally, Collective Soul would have their own CD:
"December", "The World I Know", "Heavy", "Run", "Satellite", "Shine", "Counting the Days", "Forgiveness", "Needs" and "Gel"

So, if ever you are looking for a change of pace...try some of these. I actually started liking Linkin Park because one of Jill's friends brought the "Live in Texas" CD over here and I liked it. I then played it non-stop until I learned all of the words to all of the songs. The funny part is the teenage angst that permeates their music. I guess I was past the angst and just liked the music. It used to freak Jill's friends out...I suppose it still would...

Anyway, as you hear a song playing somewhere this week...try to remember when you loaded that one into the jukebox of your mind. Remember the sweet friends that you shared hysterical laughter with in your younger days. Remember the time gone by and the person you were then. It's really okay.

As for me, if I hear "Dream Weaver" or "Take the Money and Run"...I'm a teenager sitting at Perk's Pool in Thomaston Georgia. If I hear anything by the Gap Band...I'm a Phi Mu at Troy. And while I have no real desire to be back...I don't mind the brief mental vacation. Some days, quite frankly, I need it. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment