Saturday, May 2, 2009

Short and Sweet

Today's post will be a short one. I can't guarantee that I won't hop on here again tonight, but I'm going to try to restrain myself. The shorter message is at the request of my friend, Cindy, who enjoys reading, but is finding that to follow this blog she is having to read it in more than one sitting. This is not good...but then again...I don't really think about anything but communicating...I just start typing...and when I run out of things to say...I stop.

The week has had a plethora of things that I could talk about right now...the on the stump encounter (round 2) with Lisa at the insurance company who had the unmitigated gall to tell me that I have to wait up to 30 days to get my claim for glasses paid. I was expecting more like 30 minutes. I'm calling daily until I know it has been processed starting Monday. Stay tuned. I've been a loan collector, so I know how to be annoying.

OR I could talk about music, bad TV, history, stretch pants, Twitter, dog grooming or the color black. All of these subjects I am quite familiar with and can definitely elaborate on...whether or not it would actually be entertaining is an entirely different matter. I feel like I've been all over the board from political rants, to my "real time" life, to my favorite things in this blog. Some of you have made some truly kind comments, and I'm sure that some are tuning in and then going, um...no thank you. I don't really know what I want to accomplish here, and really appreciate any help in this area.

I think what I'll talk about, though, is the term "short and sweet." Isn't that what we all crave in this day and age? Well, except for my sister, Linda, who does not want to be short, and some people (who will remain nameless) who have no inclination whatsoever to be sweet.

What I mean is that we all want something that fits into our life in a nice little package. Kind of like those Blue Bell ice cream cups that actually have what is supposed to be one serving in them. Shoot, they even pack snacks in 100 calorie packs because it is easy for us. We love to read things that make us laugh, but are not so "deep" that we feel compelled to retain it. We love clever and insightful sayings...so much so that we keep little plaques in our homes (or on our profile page). We love the Bible, but outside of the 23rd Psalm, Philippians 4:13, and John 3:16, we really don't have a whole lot of this retained. We are a "Reader's Digest" generation. Which is why Twitter is so popular. You have 140 characters to answer the question, "What Are You Doing?"

I've been quite amazed at some of what I've read...

Some people have absolutely no life (um, that would be me), others have a diary on there (what they do each day), while others put pictures, interesting article links, or something incredibly clever for the world to see. Me? I have 25 followers. I think that perhaps 4 of this 25 actually care what I'm saying. And that may be an overstatement.

Some of what is on there is highly relevant, some is annoying, and some is downright unexpected (like Jimmy Fallon using the "f" word...and I don't mean "fat.") But much like seeing a fender bender...you just have to gawk to see if it is someone you know. Sometimes it is worth the 2 1/2 minutes I spend on it eight times a day. Sometimes...not so much.

However, I'm thinking of just shutting it all off today and find something else to do. I just want to sit with Big Dave, bathe the dogs, and maybe even scrapbook a few pages. After all, it IS National Scrapbook Day!

So, today, as you are taking time to rest, visit, sleep, sun, work, play, grill, celebrate, laugh, enjoy, watch, study, swim, drive, wash, type, stop, or whatever it is you are doing...remember to have fun doing it. Yeah, some of what you are probably doing today might be a footnote in what you perceive to be your "life." But trust me...it's those footnotes that sometimes very unexpectedly become the soil for the seeds of great things that God is planting in the garden of your life.

Think I'll go do a little "weeding" today.

Thanks for reading. Hope that this was short enough, Cindy! Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment