Monday, December 7, 2009

Silver Bells - Day 7

My favorite Christmas carol is "Silver Bells." It is the song that reminds me of Christmases growing up in Thomaston, Georgia. My mother, aunt and uncle would sing this song together in harmony...and I always hoped that one day I'd figure out how to join in. Unfortunately, with my lack of range...this is just not a possibility.

I do hear the song randomly each year, and it takes me back to my childhood...of waking up after sleeping in the car to the big angels that used to sit at the corners on the square in downtown Thomaston. We would be coming from Pennsylvania or Mississippi...and I knew that when I saw the angels...we were almost there.

Bells also remind me of my Gammy, who used to have a bell hanging in the corner of the dining room, and who apparently enjoyed them judging by the fact that I always remember them being around.

I love seeing "It's a Wonderful Life" every year with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. Having the association with a bell tinking and an angel earning his wings seemed perfectly natural to me...and kind of special.

Bells seem to be an unintentional symbol of the season...but one that seems understandable at the same time. After all...we use bells to alert us to something important.

This season, I hope that I hear "Silver Bells" often. I think of the line "it's Christmastime in the city..." and will remember that a year ago I was with my mother, daughter and aunt in New York City in December. Those are very special memories to me.

I hope that if you hear "Silver Bells" this season...you'll smile wherever you are. I assure you that I will be doing the same when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment